NEWBERG, Ore. – The Illinois Tech women's volleyball team fell in their final two matches at the Oregon Trail Classic hosted by George Fox University on Saturday.
- Linfield 3, Illinois Tech 1 (16-25, 25-21, 25-20, 25-21)
- George Fox 3, Illinois Tech 0 (26-24, 25-12, 25-19)
How It Happened - Linfield Match
- Illinois Tech won the first set 25-16 before Linfield won three straight sets to win the match.
- Illinois Tech had an early 7-4 lead in the second set before Linfield scored 21 points compared to Scarlet Hawks 14.
- Linfield rallied for seven out of the last nine points to take the third set.
- The fourth set was back-and-forth before Linfield pulled way halfway through the set.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts - Linfield Match
- Senior Alyssa Miner led the Scarlet Hawks with 11 kills.
- Freshman Mia Phelps had nine kills including a huge one that put Illinois Tech 14-11 in the first set forcing Linfield to call timeout.
- Junior Taylor Burton and Freshman Karen Marrufo-Zubaran each had six kills to round out the scoring for the Scarlet Hawks.
- Marrufo-Zubaran recorded 19 digs.
How It Happened - George Fox Match
- Illinois Tech nearly pulled off the first set after trailing 12-5 against the undefeated George Fox Bruins but dropped the game 26-24.
- George Fox was all over Illinois Tech in the second set starting on a 10-3 run.
- The Bruins and Scarlet Hawks were tied at 12-all in the third set before George Fox rallied for seven straight points to put them ahead 19-12 which changed complexion of the set.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – George Fox Match
- Marrufo-Zubaran recorded 10 kills and had a .421 attack percentage to lead Illinois Tech in the setback.
- Sophomore Sinjin Acuna led the Scarlet Hawks with seven digs.
- Courtney Curio helped Illinois Tech with six digs.
- Illinois Tech returns to action Friday, Sept. 7 as the Scarlet Hawks take on Anderson (Ind.) at the North Park Quad in the North Park Gymnasium with match time scheduled to start at 7 p.m. (CT).