Dec 20, 2017
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The Illinois Tech women's basketball team dropped the second game in Daytona Beach to Washington and Lee on Wednesday morning, taking the defeat 84-47.
How it Happened
- Tech fell to an early deficit after some early shooting struggles. The Generals from Washington and Lee built a 10-2 lead behind guard Katie Popp and her six first quarter points. The Scarlet Hawks trailed by 13 after one quarter.
- The Hawks stepped us a team and knocked down some shots in the second quarter. Shannon O'Donnell scored five points while three other starters all added a basket but Popp continued her strong performance as well in the second quarter. Tech trailed 36-18 at halftime.
- Erin Efimoff scored two quick baskets out of halftime and O'Donnell to cut into the Washington and Lee lead. The Generals, however, shot 40% from the floor in the third and continued the strong offensive attack. Tech's deficit grew to heading into the fourth.
- Washington and Lee shot a blistering 60% from the floor in the fourth quarter and it proved to be too much for a comeback attempt. Four Generals players finished with double-digit points as the Scarlet Hawks fell by a score of 84-47.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Efimoff led the Scarlet Hawks with 14 points, seven rebounds, one assist and one steal
- O'Donnell finished with 13 points, seven rebounds, two assists and two steals
- Madison Davis scored 11 points with four rebounds and one steal
- Erin Nelson scored eight points and brought down seven rebounds
Stats to Know
- Tech shot 83.3% from the free-throw line
- The rebound battle was close: Washington and Lee had 45 while Tech had 40
- The Hawks had more second-chance points (22-10)
- The Generals shot 45.5% from the floor for the game
- The Scarlet Hawks will return home and welcome St. Mary of the Woods to the Keating Sports Center on Thursday, January 4 at 5:00 p.m. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.