FOND DU LAC, Wis. – Illinois Tech's men's volleyball team trekked north for a Wednesday evening match at Marian University, a future Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference opponent. In what was a competitive match throughout, the Sabres (5-6) down the Scarlet Hawks (5-8) 3-1.
- Marian 3, Tech 1 (20-25, 21-25, 26-24, 20-25)
How it Happened
- While Tech hit to the strong tune of .267% in the first set, Marian logged a .371% to counter. The strong attack allowed the Sabres to pull away late, closing out the set on two kills.
- In set two, the Scarlet Hawks jumped out to a 4-2 lead before the Sabres went on a 6-1 run. Tech stayed close, but never regained the lead back throughout the set.
- The third set was the night's most exiting. After the Sabres went up 1-0, Tech took the lead and never relinquished it the rest of the way. However, after trailing by as many as six (15-9), Marian climbed back to tie the score at 21-21. The score then proceeded to tie at 22-22, 23-23, and 24-24, as Marian counted every Tech point with one of its own. Lukasz Kupiec would take over to give the Scarlet Hawks the set win, recording kills for the final two points.
- Set four went Marian's way early (7-4), but Tech quickly regained some control, taking a lead at 14-13 on an Easton Kays kill. Marian, however, managed to pull back ahead and stave off Tech for the victory.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Kays tallied 11 kills, a block assist, and a team-high .444 hit percentage.
- Cinjun Coe led the team with 19 kills, had 11 digs, and recorded a .293 hit percentage.
- Kupiec added 10 kills of his own.
- Setter Ben Peschl (28 assists) and libero Derek Bostick (14 digs) led the team in their respective categories.
Stats to Know
- Marian outhit the Hawks .268% to .209% and had 56 kills compared to Tech's 47.
- Aces (6-2), digs (54-47), and blocks (14-8) were also advantages for Marian.
- The Scarlet Hawks will host a Saturday tri-match with Cardinal Stritch and Calumet College of St. Joseph.
- Matches will start at 3:00 p.m., with Tech slated to play Cardinal Stritch at 3:00 p.m. and CCSJ to close out the evening at 7:00 p.m.
- Live audio, video, and stats will be available for all three matches. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.