CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech men's tennis team had a huge day on Saturday, defeating two Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC) opponents to move the team into a two-way tie for first place in the league. The Scarlet Hawks (12-9, 4-0 NACC) defeated the Concordia-Wisconsin Falcons (10-7, 2-1 NACC) in the morning 6-3 before downing the Wisconsin Lutheran Warriors (0-7, 0-3 NACC) in the afternoon 9-0.
Match Highlights – Concordia-Wisconsin
- Doubles was the difference, with Tech winning all three matches and all by 8-4 scores.
- Franklin Zhong/Pol de Santiago (No. 1), Yousef Abdo/Mohammed Shamel (No. 2), and Brody Croonquist/Davis Housman (No. 3) were the winners.
- de Santiago was also a winner in No. 1 singles, defeating CUW's Nolan Rademacher 6-3, 7-6.
- In No. 3 singles, Zhong downed Logan Snyder in dominant fashion (6-1, 6-1).
- Housman earned a key win in No. 4 singles by a score of 6-2, 6-3.
Match Highlights – Wisconsin Lutheran
- Tech won No. 2 and No. 3 doubles by default while Housman and Croonquist won 8-0 in the top spot.
- In singles, the final three slots were won by defaults. Shamel (No. 1, 6-1, 6-0), Abhishek Rana (No. 2, 6-0, 6-0) and Andrew Woltman (No. 3, 6-1, 6-0) took care of business in the rest of the matches.
- The Scarlet Hawks will host MSOE (10:00 a.m.) and Edgewood (2:00 p.m.) next Saturday at XS Tennis in two NACC contests.