DECORAH, Iowa – The Illinois Tech men's swimming and diving team is now two days through the four-day Liberal Arts Championships at Luther College. After five additional events, the Scarlet Hawks now hold third place in the rankings with 190 points, just five points behind second-place Nebraska Wesleyan.
Scores after Day Two
- Franklin (257)
- Nebraska Wesleyan (195)
- Illinois Tech (190)
- Loras (143)
- Luther 9127)
- Coe (126)
- Morningside (111)
- Simpson (84)
- Principia (36)
Day Two Highlights
- Tech began the day's action with the 200 Yard Freestyle Relay. The team of Seth Wissenbach, Tyler Van Wagener, David Polzin, and Julian Escasa combined for a fourth-place time of 1:27.49.
- Karsen Diepholz scored well for the Scarlet Hawks in the next event: the 500 Yard Freestyle. He placed second with a time of 4:40.95.
- The 200 Yard Individual Medley was arguably the best event of the evening for the Scarlet Hawks, with three swimmers placing in the top seven. Jay Korhonen (third place, 1:56.31), Matthew Randle (fifth place, 1:58.65), and Ryan Escasa (seventh place, 2:00.30) combined to score 42 points for Tech. Korhonen and Randle improved their times between the preliminary and final rounds, while Escasa's finals time was just .24 seconds short of his preliminary mark.
- Tech also saw three finals qualifiers in the 50 Yard Freestyle: Wissenbach (seventh place, 22.11s), Julian Escasa (12th, 22.31s), and Polzin (16th, 22.49s).
- The 400 Yard Medley Relay team of Randle, Korhonen, Ryan Escasa, and Julian Escasa placed fifth with a time of 3:33.35, shaving .53 seconds off its preliminary time.
Day Three Preview
- Friday's schedule will be similar in time, with the preliminary rounds beginning at 10:00 a.m. followed by the finals at 6:00 p.m.
- The day's events include the 400 Yard Individual Medley, 100 Yard Butterfly, 200 Yard Freestyle, 100 Yard Breaststroke, 100 Yard Backstroke, 200 Yard Medley Relay, and the Men's 3 Meter Diving.
- Luther College will provide live video and live results for each of the day's events.