RIPON, Wis. - The Illinois Tech men's soccer team hit the road on Saturday for a match at Ripon College. In a battle of Red Hawks and Scarlet Hawks, the Scarlet shade prevailed, as Illinois Tech (2-2) dominated Ripon (0-5) by a score of 6-0.
How it Happened
- Michael Kaczowka has had an outstanding freshman season, which continued just four minutes into this contest. After a pass from Jonathon Clarke, Kaczowka booted one over the head of the goalie to give Tech an early lead.
- While Ripon manated to save six first-half shots to keep the score at 1-0 at halftime, the floodgates opened in the second half. The scoring started in the 56th minute when Sachin De Silva scored on the right side of the net.
- Just one minute later, Conner Shaw scored off of a free kick to increase the lead to 3-0.
- In the 71st minute, it was Manuel Lopez's turn. He took a Zach Whritenour pass and turned it into a goal.
- Lopez was not done getting involved on scoring plays. Just five minutes later, he fed Luigi Michelin, who fired a shot to the left of the goalie to continue the impressive half.
- Michelin was also not finished. In the 81st minute, he kicked one out of the goalie's reach after a David de la Fuente feed.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Michelin scored his first two goals of the 2019 season, finding the back of the net on both of his shots.
- Kaczowka led the team with six shots and four shots on goal. Both he and Lopez each had one goal and one assist.
- All four of Shaw's shots were on goal, with one of them getting past the keeper.
- De Silva (goal), Clarke (assist), and Whritenour (assist) also factored in on scoring plays.
Stats to Know
- Illinois Tech was impressive, outshooting the Red Hawks 24-6.
- A staggering 17 of the Tech's 24 shots were on goal.
- Alex Kern went largely untested, saving the only shot on goal he saw all match.
- It is a short turnaround for Tech, as the team will host Franklin College tomorrow at 4:00 p.m. at Stuart Field. Live audio, video, and stats will be available, with the live audio powered by Illinois Media School.