MILWAUKEE, Wis. – The Illinois Tech men's soccer team took a trip north on Saturday for a Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC) match against the Raiders of MSOE, falling 4-0. The defeat dropped Tech to 4-3 overall and 0-2 in the NACC while moving the Raiders to 6-2 overall and 2-0 in the league.
How it Happened
- The Scarlet Hawks played near-even with the Raiders in the early portions of the match, with each team attempting three shots each in the first 20 minutes. Oluwaseun Ogunsanya was the only player for either team to attempt a shot on net in that span, as his try was saved by MSOE's Patrick Grund.
- With 20:01 gone by in the first half, the Raiders' Joey Schauer scored on a double assist to put the hosts on the board first.
- Just two minutes later, NACC goals leader Rade Novakovich scored for the ninth time this season, finishing off of a pass from Schauer to double the lead.
- The Scarlet Hawks fired two more shots on net in the first half, but both Peter Fouchet and Ogunsanya's tries were turned away to hold the 2-0 score at halftime,
- In the second half, the Raiders found another gear defensively, holding the Scarlet Hawks without a shot attempt.
- Tech was able to hold strong defensively until the 82nd minute when Schauer scored his second goal of the match on a header off of a Sam Gianakos corner kick.
- With just 58 seconds left, the Raiders capped things off with a Connor Kapczynski goal, with Gianakos and Novakovich providing the assists on the play.
Stats to Know
- There were a very high number of fouls, as a combined 39 (21 for MSOE, 18 for Tech) were issued. The Scarlet Hawks were also issued four yellow cards and a red card, while the Raiders were handed one yellow.
- MSOE led in shots 13-6.
- The Benedictine University Eagles will host men's soccer for an NACC match on Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m.