CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech men's soccer team played a Tuesday night contest at home against Concordia University Chicago. Tech never trailed en route to a 3-1 win, moving to an impressive 6-3-1.
How it Happened
- After a slow start to the contest for both teams, the Scarlet Hawks jumped on the board first. An Oluwaseun Ogunsanya corner kick deflected off a Cougar player past the keeper for the first goal of the match.
- Tech took only three shots in the first half, but made the most of limited chances. Quentin Dreilich scored on a free kick in the half's final minutes to take a 2-0 led heading into halftime.
- Alex Kern made a great save in the 57th minute with heavy traffic in front of him to keep the score at 2-0.
- Soon after the save, Noah Kwortnik had a shot saved off of a corner kick, but collected his own rebound and took a second shot past the keeper to build the lead to 3-0.
- The Cougars were handed a red card in the 61st minute, but they struck a few minutes later to make the score 3-1.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Dreilich scored on one of his five shots (three on goal). It was his first goal of the season.
- Ogunsanya did not record an official assist, but Tech's first and third goals happened because of his great corner kick placement.
- Kwortnik scored his fourth goal of the season.
- Brandon Bortei-Doku tallied five shots (two on goal).
Stats to Know
- After attempting just three shots in the first half, the Scarlet Hawks outshot the Cougars 21-4 over the final 45 minutes. Tech has yet to be outshot in a match this season.
- Fouls were plentiful, as Tech had 19 compared to CUC's 14.
- The Scarlet Hawks had three yellow cards, while CUC had two yellows and one red.
- The Scarlet Hawks will host Maranatha Baptist University on Saturday at 5:00 p.m. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.