Oct 16, 2016
CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech men's soccer team dominated possession on Sunday's Senior Day to move to 6-8-1 on the season. Tech downed Wentworth Military 5-2.
How it Happened
- The scoring started early for the Scarlet Hawks, as Norikazu Honda bent a corner kick into the far corner of the net in the 13th minute.
- After Wentworth scored on a Jared Dow goal in the 19th minute, Diego Gutierrez Coronel scored off of a Quentin Dreilich pass in the 42nd minute to break the tie. Just a minute later, Santiago Bartolome scored to give the Hawks a 3-1 lead heading into the intermission.
- In the second half, the Scarlet Hawks kept momentum. Bartolome assisted on a Michael Podsiadly tally in the 53rd minute to bring the score to 4-1.
- Just over a minute after Podsiadly's goal, Brandon Bortei-Doku on a left-footed free kick to extend the lead.
- Wentworth would score courtsey of Adam Landherr in the 85th minute to round out the scoring.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Five different Hawks accounted for the five goals: Honda, Gutierrez Coronel, Bartolome, Podsiadly, and Bortei-Doku.
- Dreilich and Bartolome accounted for the team's assists.
- Idris Ayantoye led the team with six shots.
- Alex Kern earned his first collegiate win, making four saves in just under 60 minutes.
Stats to Know
- Tech outshot Wentworth 26-13 overall and 13-5 on net.
- The Scarlet Hawks attempted five corner kicks compared to none for the Red Dragons.
- Tech committed 15 fouls. Wentworth committed 14.
- The Scarlet Hawks return to the field on Thursday night when the team hosts Moody Bible Institute. The match is set to begin at 6:00 p.m. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.