OBERLIN, Ohio - The Illinois Tech men's basketball team played in the finale of this weekend's Oberlin College Tournament on Sunday afternoon against host Oberlin. Behind some effective shooting from three-point range, the Scarlet Hawks moved to 2-0 on the weekend and 2-2 on the young season with a 95-82 win. Oberlin's record dropped to 1-3.
How it Happened
- After a back-and-forth start to the contest, the Scarlet Hawks made a big run. Tech outscored the Yeomen 15-0 from 15:02 until 10:46 to take a 26-10 lead. Five different Hawks scored during this span.
- Great foul shooting (12-of-15, 80% in the first half) and five three-point field goals on five attempts from Parker Joncus in the first half allowed Illinois Tech to build its first-half lead to as high as 25. Tech led 53-30 at halftime.
- The Scarlet Hawks continued to run an effiecent offense in the second half, as an Anthony Mosley Jr. lay-up at the 6:52 mark gave Tech its largest lead of the game at 82-54.
- A late Oberlin run allowed the Yeomen to get closer, but the Scarlet Hawks safely secured the 13-point victory.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Joncus made all five of his three-point attempts, finishing the game with 19 points, two steals, and five rebounds.
- Mosley Jr. led all players in points (20) and tied for the game-high in assists (five). He also chipped in four rebonds.
- Jake Digiorgio continued to be a force off the bench, registering his third double-double of the season with 14 points and 11 rebounds.
- Malik Howze (16 points, 6-of-10 shooting) and Max Hisatake (11 points, 4-of-5 shooting) were both efficient from the floor.
Stats to Know
- Tech was a perfect 9-of-9 from three-point range.
- The Scarlet Hawks held the rebounding advantage 41-34.
- Oberlin shot just 42.3% from the floor comapred to 54.2% for the Scarlet Hawks.
- Illinois Tech will travel to nearby Dominican University for a 7:00 p.m. contest on Wednesday night. Live links couresty of Dominican will be provided on www.illinoistechathletics.com closer to gametime.