Nov 15, 2016
ANDERSON, Ind. - The Illinois Tech men's basketball team opened the 2016-17 season at Anderson University on on Tuesday evening. The Scarlet Hawks fell to the Ravens 110-82.
How it Happened
- After a pretty even first five minutes of play, the Ravens made a big run in the middle of the first after. With the score tied 12-12, AU managed to put together a 30-15 run over the next 11 minutes to take a 15 point lead.
- A balanced offensive attack helped the Scarlet Hawks to close out the first half strong, trimming the deficit to 12. Anderson led 53-41 at halftime.
- In the second half, Anderson started strong, building the lead to 19 at the 13:47 mark.
- Illinois Tech, however, would mount a run behind the offense of Malik Howze. The sophomore transfer scored 10 points on what was a 14-3 Scarlet Hawk run. Anderson led 72-64 with 9:03 to play.
- The Ravens would get hot down the stretch, scoring 38 points over the final nine minutes to pull away.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- In his first game as a Scarlet Hawk, Howze led Tech with 25 points on 8-of-17 shooting. He was also 8-of-12 from the free throw line, leading all players in free throw attempts.
- Jake Digiorgio had a double-double off the bench, tallying 13 points and 10 rebounds with two blocked shots.
- Freshman Max Hisatake was impressive in his collegiate debut, scoring 14 points on 6-of-9 shooting in just 22 minutes. He also blocked two shots.
- Anthony Mosley Jr. scored 13 points and tallied six assists.
Stats to Know
- Three-point shooting was heavily in favor of the Ravens. AU was 13-of-26 (50.0%), while Tech was just 2-of-6 (33.3%).
- Tech out-rebounded the Ravens 33-30.
- The Scarlet Hawks committed 20 turnovers compared to just 13 for AU.
- Illinois Tech will play its next game on next Tuesday, November 22 at the University of Chicago. The game is set to begin at 8:00 p.m. central time.