MEQUON, Wis. - Rain, snow, and cold have all impacted Illinois Tech baseball games this season. On Monday, a new element of Mother Nature was added to the list: fog. After dropping game one to the Marian Sabres (19-12, 10-9 NACC), the Scarlet Hawks (16-20, 8-11 NACC) had game two halted due to foggy conditions with a 4-0 lead in the top of the fourth inning. Tech will head back north to Marian to complete the suspended game at a later date.
Below is a recap of the completed game. A recap of the suspended game will be written once played to completion.
- Tech: 4 runs, 8 hits, 1 error
- Marian: 6 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors
How it Happened
- After Marian jumped ahead 2-0 in the first, the Scarlet Hawks struck back in the bottom of the second on a sacrafice bunt by Darius Jones.
- Despite Tech cutting MU's lead in half in the top of the second, the Sabres would tack on runs in the coming innings to build the advantage. After four, the hosts led Tech 6-1.
- Nick Bledose chipped into the Sabre lead in the sixth with an RBI single. Later in the frame, a wild pitch allowed David Navarro to score.
- In the ninth, Orlando Cardenas-Juan had an RBI single of his own to trim the lead to 6-4, but the Sabres were able to close out the contest on a fly out.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Cardenas-Juan and Bledsoe each had two hits and an RBI.
- Jacob Geiger threw two scoreless innings of relief and did not allow a baserunner on just 15 pitches.
Game Two Before Suspension
- The Scarlet Hawks plated runs in the second and third innings. Jones had an RBI single in the second before Jacob Sorenson walked with the bases loaded in the third.
- In the top of the fourth, Zachary Dickey hit a two-run single to make the score 4-0, advancing to second on the throw.
- The fog was deemed unsafe after Dickey's base-hit. When the game resumes, it will be a 4-0 Tech lead with Dickey on second, Bledsoe at the plate, and one out.
- Roberto Carselle had started on the mound, firing three scoreless innings with three strikeouts.
- Stay tuned to illinoistechathletics.com for news on the re-scheduling of the suspended game.
- Tech's next scheduled doubleheader is with another NACC foe, Domincan. The Scarlet Hawks will play against the Stars at Boomers Stadium in Schaumburg for a 12:00 p.m. doubleheader on Saturday.