LISLE, Ill. – The Illinois Tech baseball team traveled to nearby Benedictine University on Saturday to oppose the Eagles of Benedictine. Tech (13-17, 5-9 NACC) dropped both contests to BenU (17-9, 9-3 NACC).
Game One: Runs-Hits-Errors
- Tech: 4 runs, 6 hits, 2 errors
- BenU: 6 runs, 9 hits, 1 error
Game One: How it Happened
- After the Eagles scored twice in the bottom of the first, the Scarlet Hawks struck in the second. Michael Courtney singled down the right field line to drive in Brandon Bennitt, who walked, stole second, and advance to third on a passed ball.
- With Tech down 5-1 in the top of the fourth, the Scarlet Hawks began to make some noise. Bennitt knocked a two-run home run in the inning before a Jacob Sorenson single drove in Darius Jones one inning later.
- Scarlet Hawk starter Ryan Cantlin settled in after the third inning, firing scoreless frames from innings four through seven and retiring all 12 hitters he faced.
- However, the Eagles added an insurance run in the eighth before holding down Tech in the ninth.
Game One: Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Bennitt was the only Hawk with multiple hits (2-for-3), as the freshman homered, drove in two runs, and stole a base.
- Cantlin struck out nine in eight innings and retired 12 in a row at one point.
Game Two: Runs-Hits-Errors
- Tech: 6 runs, 8 hits, 2 errors
- BenU: 10 runs, 14 hits, 1 error
Game Two: How it Happened
- Tech struck first in this one, once again off the bat of Courtney. This time, he doubled down the right field line to give the Scarlet Hawks a 1-0 lead.
- The Eagles scored the game's next seven runs to give BenU a 7-1 advantage after six innings.
- However, the Scarlet Hawks would not go down without a fight. After Courtney homered in the top of the seventh, Tech struck for four in the top of the eighth. Bennitt knocked in two on a single before a two-RBI double by Ted Howell pulled the Hawks to within one.
- Benedictine came right back to answer, scoring three times in the eighth to add enough cushion for the win.
Game Two: Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Courtney was 3-for-4 with a home run, two doubles, and two RBI.
- Bennitt and Howell had two RBI each.
- An important NACC doubleheader awaits the Scarlet Hawks. On Monday, Tech will host Lakeland University for a 12:00 p.m. twinbill at Ed Glancy field. Both teams are currently tied for the sixth and final spot in the conference tournament picture.
- Live audio, video, and stats will be available, with the live audio powered by Illinois Media School.