CHICAGO, Ill. -- The Illinois Tech baseball team swept both games of a doubleheader against Maranatha Baptist at Ed Glancy Field on Tuesday.
The Scarlet Hawks (9-13) won the first game 20-0 before hanging on to capture the second game 5-4.
Runs-Hits-Errors: Game One
- Tech: 20 runs, 18 hits, 1 error
- MBU: 0 runs, 3 hits, 2 errors
How It Happened-Game 1
- Illinois Tech put up a crooked number in the first inning with nine runs in the opening frame and scoring eight with one out. Nick Bledsoe, Ted Howell had back-to-back RBI singles to make 2-0. Couple batters later, Orlando Cardenas-Juan made it 4-0 with his RBI double. The Scarlet Hawks added five more runs after some wild pitching by the Sabercats.
- The scoring would not finish there as the Scarlet Hawks put up five more runs the following inning. Four of those runs came on four consecutive hits. Zach Dickey singled, Bledsoe doubled, Michael Courtney singled and Howell singled to bring in four runs.
- Matthew Jackson ripped an RBI single in the fifth inning to make it 15-0.
- Another five runs came across for Illinois Tech in the sixth frame including back-to-back doubles by Tyler Tucker and Darius Jones.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts: Game 1
- Illinois Tech starting pitcher Wyatt Ronek, dazzled on the mound for the Scarlet Hawks, going three innings, allowing only one hit and struck out five.
- Leading the way with three hits was Darius Jones, who went 3-4 with a double, two runs scored and two RBI.
- Brandon Bennitt went 2-3 with three runs scored and a pair of RBI.
- Perfect at the plate for the Scarlet Hawks was Nick Bledsoe, who went 2-2 with a pair of runs scored and RBI.
- Ted Howell had a two hit game and also recorded two RBI.
- Closing the door was Chad Johnson, who recorded his first save of the season after pitching at least three quality innings and pitched four, only allowing two hits, issued one walk and struck out four.
Runs-Hits-Errors: Game Two
- Tech: 5 runs, 5 hits, 3 error
- MBU: 4 runs, 3 hits, 3 errors
How It Happened-Game 2
- Wasting no time out of the gate was Maranatha Baptist who did not score in the first game, got on the board first with a run in the opening frame.
- Illinois Tech was able to respond and tie the game up in the bottom of the first inning.
- In the third and fourth inning, the Scarlet Hawks got two runs in each of the frames to go ahead 5-1. Blesdoe ripped a 2-RBI single to make it 3-1 in the third and then Cardenas-Juan singled to make it 4-1 in the following frame.
- Looking to rally in the sixth inning was Maranatha Baptist, scoring three runs in the frame to make it 5-4.
- Joseph Hindy came in to record the save and he did just that as he recorded four outs to record his first save of the season.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts: Game 2
- Zac Lis picked up the win on the mound, after going three innings, scattering two hits and only allowing one run and struck out four.
- Trying to record the hold was Brandon Bennitt, who threw two and two thirds innings and did not allow an earned run after a few miscues by the Scarlet Hawks.
- Nick Bledsoe continued his big day with another two-hit performance in the second game and had a pair of RBI.
- Illinois Tech returns to action Saturday, April 13 as the Scarlet Hawks travel to Aurora University to take on the Spartans starting at noon CT.