CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech women's volleyball team played the second match on Friday of the two-day USCAA Quad at the Keating Sports Center. The Scarlet Hawks were defeated by St. Mary of the Woods 3-1.
- SMOW 3, Tech 1 (9-25, 14-25, 25-22, 15-25)
How it Happened
- The Pomeroys impressed from the get-go, dominating set one with a .303 hit percentage compared to -.083 for Tech.
- In set two, the Scarlet Hawks were able to establish some offense and limited attack chances for SMOW, but the visitors still hit at a .276% clip en route to a 2-0 lead.
- Set three was when the tide turned for the Hawks. After SMOW had a 3-2 lead, the Scarlet Hawks used a 4-0 to jump ahead and never looked back. Katie McCutcheon iced the set with a kill for the win.
- The Scarlet Hawks were able to hang close in set four, taking a 14-13 lead before a huge SMOW run closed the night out. The Pomeroys scored 12 of the last 13 points, hitting .545% for the set.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- The offense of Taylor Burton (12 kills, .280%) and Alyssa Miner (10 kills, .214%, five total blocks) was key.
- Natalie Freund had 26 assists on the night.
- Courtney Curcio led the squad with 21 digs.
Stats to Know
- SMOW hit an impressive .305% and outdid Tech in aces 11-3.
- Tech is now 11-15 on the season.
- SMOW moved to 10-11.
- Tech will play at 11:00 a.m. tomorrow (RMU-Springfield) and 3:00 p.m. (Senior Lake, Senior Day) to wrap up the USCAA Quad.