LAKE FOREST, Ill. - After a slow start to the match, the Scarlet Hawks took control on Wednesday night at Lake Forest College. The Scarlet Hawks won the evening's final three sets en route to a 3-1 victory, defeating the Foresters for the second time in as many seasons.
- Tech 3, Lake Forest 1 (16-25, 25-21, 25-20, 25-16)
How it Happened
- Lake Forest came out aggressive, hitting .208% in the first set while holding the Scarlet Hawks to a .000% mark. The Foresters ended the set on three straight service aces.
- In the second set, things changed early. A balanced offensive attack propelled the Scarlet Hawks to a 7-1 lead. Some great offense from Sara Hassell and Taylor Burton kept Tech ahead all set, but the Foresters made a furious late comeback to cut what was once an 11-point lead down to just two at 22-20. However, two Burton kills, one of which was the 25th point, helped the Scarlet Hawks clinch set two.
- The third set started out similiar, with the Scarlet Hawks taking a 5-0 lead. Lake Forest would come back quicker this time, cutting the lead to one at 7-6, but never managed to take a lead. Burton closed out another set with a kill as Tech moved into the driver's seat with a 2-1 lead.
- Tech used another 5-0 run to start a set to jump out ahead, never relinquishing the lead once again. Also, in familiar fashion, Burton ended the set with a kill, icing a fantastic 25-16 set and a 3-1 victory.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Burton continues to make strides in her sophomore season, recording 14 kills with an impressive .414 hitting percentage.
- Hassell, the reigning USCAA and AD3I Player of the Week award winner, had a match-high 17 kills two go along with nine digs and two total blocks (one solo, one assisted).
- Justine Bracco had one of her best matches as a Scarlet Hawk, tallying four kills, adding two total blocks (one solo, one assisted), and making several plays in the fourth set to aid Tech to a victory.
- Reya Green had three service aces to lead Tech.
- Courtney Darling had a double-double of 16 assists and 15 digs.
Stats to Know
- The Scarlet Hawks moved to 6-10 on the season and have now won three of the last four matches. Lake Forest dropped to 7-9.
- Tech outhit Lake Forest .101% to .051%, recording 41 kills compared to LFC's 34.
- Digs were nearly even at 63-61 in favor of the Scarlet Hawks.
- Tech hosts the Scarlet Hawk Invite this Friday and Saturday at the Keating Sports Center. Six different colleges will visit Chicago in the two-day event, which will feature four Illinois Tech matches. The Scarlet Hawks will take on UC Clermont (3:00 p.m.) and Anderson (7:00 p.m.) on Friday before hosting Olivet (11:00 a.m.) and Albion (1:00 p.m.) on Saturday. Stay tuned to www.illinoistechathletics.com for more information on the tournament is it nears.