WATERTOWN, Wis. - The Illinois Tech women's volleyball team traveled to Maranatha Baptist University on Thursday night. The Sabercats downed Tech in straight sets, dropping the team's record to 14-16.
- Set one: MBU 25, Tech 12
- Set two: MBU 25, Tech 12
- Set three: MBU 25, Tech 20
How it Happened
- Maranatha came out on fire, taking a 7-0 lead to begin the first set. The Scarlet Hawks pulled to within four at 11-7, but it was as close as the team would get as MBU coasted to a 25-12 win.
- In the second set, the Scarlet Hawks would take an early advantage at 4-2. However, the Sabercats responded with a 12-3 run. Tech never recovered as the Sabercats went up 2-0.
- The third set was tighly contested, but the Scarlet Hawks once again started strong on a 6-1 run. Maranatha went on a 10-1 run of its own to take an advantage, but the Scarlet Hawks stuck close throughout the match. A Madeline Thompson kill for the Sabercats ended Tech's hopes of a comeback, giving the match to MBU.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Alyssa Miner hit .316% on the day and added seven kills.
- Taylor Burton and Courtney Darling each added two solo blocks. Darling also had 18 assists.
- Irena Grauzinis led the Hawks with 10 kills.
Stats to Know
- Maranatha outhit the Hawks .316% to .072%.
- Maranatha recorded five aces compared to Tech's two.
- MBU won the digs tally 36-23.
- Illinois Tech will await the announcement of the USCAA Tournament field, which will come on November 1. If the Scarlet Hawks qualify, the team will travel to Virginia Beach, Va. for the 10-team tournament, which is slated to take place from November 10-15.
- Regardless of if the Scarlet Hawks qualify for the USCAA Tournament, Illinois Tech will host the American Collegiate Athletic Association Championship sponsored by the Association of D3 Independents on Saturday, November 5.
- Illinois Tech will oppose Finlandia (9:00 a.m.) and Alfred State (2:00 p.m.) on November 5 at the Keating Sports Center.