RIVER FOREST, Ill. - The Illinois Tech women's volleyball team made the short drive to River Forest on Tuesday to oppose Concordia University Chicago. In a tight match, the Scarlet Hawks fell to the Cougars in five sets to move to 14-15 on the season.
- Set one: Tech 25, CUC 20
- Set two: CUC 25, Tech 23,
- Set three: Tech 27, CUC 25
- Set four: CUC 25, Tech 23
- Set five: CUC 15, Tech 8
How it Happened
- The Scarlet Hawks built a 6-2 lead in the first set before the Cougars went on a 7-1 run to take a lead. Illinois Tech retook the lead at 10-9 and never looked back, as a Taylor Burton kill clinched a 25-20 set one win.
- Set two was tight, as no team led by more than three points (CUC at 5-2). The last lead the Hawks saw in the set was a 21-20 advantage, as CUC responded with a 3-0 run and held the advantage to win 25-23.
- In set three, the Scarlet Hawks jumped out to a 13-6 lead after a 7-0 run. CUC would claw its way back to tie things at 21, but the Scarlet Hawks responded with three straight points. After a 3-0 run from the Cougars to tie it again, kills from Jelena Vujicic, Katherine McCutcheon, and Irena Grauzinis gave the Scarlet Hawks the set win.
- Set four was controlled by the Cougars, building a five-point lead early. The Scarlet Hawks wouldn't lead until an attack error from CUC gave Tech a 21-20 advantage, but the Cougars closed the set on a 5-2 run for the win.
- The fifth and final set saw the Scarlet Hawks start off with a 3-2 lead, but CUC would surge ahead witha 7-0 run. Tech would cut the lead to one before a 6-0 run iced the Cougar victory.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Burton tallied eight kills and seven blocks while hitting .250%.
- Vujicic tallied 11 kills and also hit .250%.
- Grauzinis led the team with 17 kills and also crontributed two aces and 11 digs.
- Courtney Darling added 42 assists, 10 digs, and three blocks.
Stats to Know
- CUC outhit Tech .156% to .135%.
- The Scarlet Hawks tallied 20 total blocks compared to just five for the Cougars.
- CUC outdug Tech 82-76.
- Illinois Tech will play at Maranatha Baptist on Thursday night at 7:30 p.m.