CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech Women's Soccer team started the season off to a strong with a 3-1 win over Anderson University in the home and season opener Saturday afternoon. Tech's nine first-half shots helped propel the team to a victory and knock Anderson to 0-1.
How it Happened
- Tech was hungry to get the lead early, as Julia Taliana had two shots on goal in the first five minutes. Illinois Tech's hard work paid off in the 10th minute when Jaime Griggs passed the ball to Katie Hoefgen to set up a powerful shot from the top of the box, delivering Tech's first goal of the season.
- A minute later, Griggs got a goal of her own from 15 yards out to quickly increase the lead to 2-0.
- Anderson gained some momentum shortly thereafter, as after two Tech fouls, the Ravens scored on a penalty shot by Emily Buchman to cut the lead in half.
- Illinois Tech responded by pressing Anderson's defense, forcing three more shots on goal that were saved by Anderson's keeper, Allyson Saylor. Hoefgen was able to get one past Saylor, however, in the 30th minute when Taliana passed to her from the left side of the box, Scoring from 20 yards out.
- Offense slowed in the second half, with Kirsten Robinson providing one of the few opportunities Tech had with a wide header shot in the 54th minute. The same held true for Anderson, as Tech keeper Catherine Klemp saved another Buchman chance in the 70th minute to stave off a threat.
- Anderson continued to attack Illinois Tech with two more shots, but the Scarlet Hawks forced them wide to hold for the win.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Hoefgen had three shots, two shots on goal, and two goals scored to start her senior season.
- Griggs had two shots on goal, one goal, and one assist.
- Taliana recorded an assist and had two shots.
- In her first collegiate match, Klemp recorded two saves and a victory in just over 79 minutes.
Stats to Know
- Saylor saved three shots for Anderson.
- Anderson kept possession due to some Tech fouls, as the Scarlet Hawks were called for 11 compared to Anderson's six.
- Tech outshot the Ravens 10-6
- The Scarlet Hawks were issued two yellow cards compared to one for the Ravens.
- The Scarlet Hawks will be back in action tomorrow against Whitman College at 12:00 p.m. at Stuart Field. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.