CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech women's soccer team hosted the Cougars of Cleary University on Saturday afternoon. Tech scored an early goal, but the Cougars were able to erase the deficit quickly and score a late tally to win 2-1.
How it Happened
- In the second minute of the match, Erin James was able to find the back of the net. The unassisted tally gave the Scarlet Hawks a 1-0 lead.
- Cleary, however, responded quickly, scoring six minutes later to tie the score at 1-1.
- After a very evenly matched remaining portion of the first half, Cleary would take the lead in the 53rd minute.
- Illinois Tech had its chances late. A foul negated a late chance for the Scarlet Hawks in the 89th minute as the clocked ticked down to 0:00.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- James scored the team's goal on two shots.
- Katie Hoefgen and Julia Taliana each had three shot attempts. Hoefgen also had a shot on goal.
- Kirsten Robinson took two shots.
Stats to Know
- Tech held a 13-12 edge in shots, but Clearly led in shots on goal 7-4.
- The Scarlet Hawks had nine corners while the Cougars took just one.
- Fouls were nearly even (Tech 8, Cleary 7).
- The Scarlet Hawks will play tomorrow at Knox College. The match is set to begin at 3:00 p.m.