Sep 03, 2017
CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech women's soccer team hosted Trine University in the 2017 home opener on Sunday night. In a tight match throughout, Trine edged Tech 1-0.
How it Happened
- Both teams had minimal offense in the first half, but Trine was able to squeak across a goal courtesy of Erica Hoot in the 13th minute.
- Tech turned away two shots on goal in the first half to keep the score at 1-0 heading into intermission.
- The Scarlet Hawks were able to play more aggressive in the second half. The team's best chance was when a Kirsten Robinson shot in the 81st minute from about 25 yards out hit off the top post and back into play.
- Trine was able to hold off a few Tech chances down the stretch.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Playing just her second collegiate match in goal, Elizabeth Bremer put together a strong match. The sophomore tallied seven saves.
- Robinson led the team with five shots and a shot on goal.
- Katie Hoefgen attempted two shots of her own.
Stats to Know
- Trine outshot Tech 15-11.
- There were very few fouls in the contest, as Tech committed seven compared to Trine's six.
- Trine held the edge in corners 7-4.
- Women's Soccer will oppose Ripon College next on the road. Tech will travel to Wisconsin for a 2:00 p.m. match on Saturday.