THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. - The Illinois Tech women's soccer team played its first game of a two-match trip to California on Saturday. In a neutral site match, the Scarlet Hawks fell to UC Santa Cruz 4-1.
How it Happened
- The Banana Slugs jumped out in front, scoring in the 10th and 16th minutes to take an early 2-0 lead.
- In the 26th minute, Megan Carey scored her second goal of the match for Santa Cruz to go up 3-0 on the Hawks.
- Katie Hoefgen would get the Scarlet Hawks on the board before halftime. On an assist from Venika Jarvis, Hoefgen scored in the 36th minute to bring the match to a 3-1 score.
- Just one goal was scored in the second half. Carey completed her hat trick on a free kick in the 88th minute.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Hoefgen scored on her only shot on net. She had two shots total.
- Jarvis added an assist.
- Anida Phetchanpheng led the Scarlet Hawks with three shots, all of which were on net.
- Jessica Park made 17 saves in the loss.
Stats to Know
- The Scarlet Hawks were outshot 32-7.
- Tech attempted four corners compared to just once for UC Santa Cruz.
- No cards were issued in the match.
- The Scarlet Hawks will face Cal Lutheran on Monday before heading home to Illinois. Match time is set for 2:30 p.m. central time.