Apr 13, 2019
CHICAGO, Ill. -- The Illinois Tech women's lacrosse team held off a second half rally by Cornell College as the Scarlet Hawks defeated the Rams, 12-7, at Stuart Field, Saturday.
- Illinois Tech started out the first half with a 8-0 lead going into the break including three in the last three minutes.
- There was adjustments made by Cornell and the Rams got on the board by scoring the first goal of the second half.
- Cornell had the answer with four straight goals to make it 10-5 with under 11 minutes left.
- Trying to stop the run were the Scarlet Hawks, who responded with a goal to make it 11-5.
- The Rams did not go away, cutting it 11-7 under five minutes left looking to rally in the match.
- Both teams were held scoreless until Alyssa DeLuca hit the back of the net to score a goal with under eight seconds left.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Leading scorer for the Scarlet Hawks, Shanie Scoles added six more goals today in the winning effort.
- Madison Meredith, who is third on the team in goals, recorded three huge goals.
- A force in the first half being a brick wall by the net was Elizabeth Zia, who did not allow a goal in the first half and recorded 13 total saves.
- Scoring and helping was Alyssa DeLuca's speciality, who had two goals and two assists.
Stats to Know
- Despite Illinois Tech leading the column that counted the score, Cornell outshot Illinois Tech, 27-24.
- The Scarlet Hawks did an excellent job clearing the ball going 13-of-14.
- The Scarlet Hawks will travel to Northwestern-St. Paul on Friday, April 19 at Reynolds Field starting at 7:00 p.m. CT.