HOLLAND, Mich. - The Illinois Tech women's lacrosse team opened up the 2019 campaign on the road at Division II Davenport University. The Scarlet Hawks fell 13-3 to the Panthers. The loss puts the Scarlet Hawks at 0-1 on the season as Davenport moves to 3-2.
How it Happened
- A slow start left Illinois Tech in hole they were unable to dig themselves out of, as Davenport took a 10-0 lead into the halftime break.
- To start the second half, the Panthers struck for the first 2 goals to widen the deficit to 12-0 with 15:17 remaining.
- Alyssa DeLuca got the Scarlet Hawks on the board for the first time this season as she tallied not one, but two goals in quick succession to cut the lead to 12-2.
- Shanie Scoles kept the run going, tallying her first goal of the season to wrap up the Scarlet Hawks scoring with 1:10 remaining in the game.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Alyssa DeLuca scored the season's first two goals. She also had three caused turnovers.
- Scoles picked right where she left off last season, putting the ball in the back of the net for the third and final goal of the contest.
- Isabella Rubin and Brooke Rowan both collected one assist each, which gave Rowan her first career point in her first collegiate game.
- Jennifer Young led the way with three ground balls on the day as well as three caused turnovers.
- Jessica Cochis turned in a solid performance with eight saves on 15 shots for a 53% save percentage.
Words from Coach Brady
- "I'm so proud of how they performed," said Head Coach Meghan Brady. "We played every second of the game, never gave up, and kept our heads up. It was fun to watch the team come together late against very tough competition and work through a defense we have been practicing for months."
- Tech will travel to Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference foe Monmouth on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.