CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech women's lacrosse team played a non-conference match Tuesday night at Stuart Field against St. Mary's College of Indiana. The Hawks held a six-goal lead in the second half, but the Belles came back to force overtime and win the game 17-16.
How it happened
- The Scarlet Hawks started the contest flat-footed and found themselves down 6-2 at the 13-minute mark of the first half.
- The Hawks, though, came storming back. Two goals each by Alyssa DeLuca and Isabella Rubin tied the game 6-6 late in the first half. Another late goal by DeLuca gave the Hawks an 8-7 lead at the break.
- Tech continued the scoring into the second half, scoring five goals in the first six minutes to build a 13-7 lead.
- St. Mary's kept on fighting and Tech's offense began to sputter as the Belles outscored the Hawks 9-3 in the final 20 minutes to tie the game 16-16 and send it to overtime.
- Both goalies stood tall in the first three minutes of overtime, as each made three saves to keep the game knotted up at 16.
- The game ended shortly after the teams switched sides. Kate Kelly of St. Mary's scored on a Tech failed clearance to win the game 17-16.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- DeLuca had a game-high eight goals on 12 shots to go along with two assists, one draw control and one caused turnover.
- Rubin had another solid game, scoring four goals on nine shots and tallying one assist. She also caused three turnovers, picked up three ground balls, and had three draw controls.
- Isabel Fitzpatrick-Meyers also found the score sheet, scoring four goals on nine shots, picking up six ground balls, and causing one turnover.
- Madison Meredith has a game-high seven assists and eight draw controls. She also caused one turnover.
Stats to Know
- St Mary's tallied 35 shots, two more than Tech (33). The Belles also made 12 saves, four more than the Hawks (8).
- Both teams were also near-even in draw controls, as the Belles (19) had two more than the Hawks (17).
- The teams were tied in ground balls, tallying 28 each.
- Tech had one less turnover (21) than St. Mary's (22).
- The Scarlet Hawks will travel to Waverly, Iowa, on Saturday to face Wartburg College in a Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference match. The game is set to start at 1:00 pm. Live stats will be available.