CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech Scarlet Hawks remained unbeaten both overall and in Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference play on Sunday afternoon. In a battle of two 2-0 conference teams, the Scarlet Hawks scored a late regulation goal to tie the score before a Madison Meredith tally 53 seconds into overtime gave the team the 8-7 win.
How it Happened
- After an early Auggie goal, the Scarlet Hawks responded with goals from Meredith (24:29) and Alyssa DeLuca (23:18) to take a 2-1 lead.
- Augsburg, however, stayed persistent, scoring twice more to take a 3-2 lead before another DeLuca tally with 15:36 left in the first half tied the score once again.
- The two teams traded goals over the rest of the first half. Isabel Fitzpatrick-Meyers scored off of a Mimi Hoeller pass before Meredith tallied again just eight seconds before halftime.
- Offense was much harder for both teams to come by in the second half. After the Auggies scored just over three minutes in, no team scored until a Sarah Maciorowski free position goal with a player advantage at the 15:18 mark tied the score.
- Tech would hold down the Augsburg offense until 3:40 to play, as Augsburg scored once again to take another one-goal lead.
- With 57 seconds left in regulation and a player advantage, Isabella Rubin scored her first goal of the game to tie the score 8-8.
- After Tech won the initial draw control in overtime, Meredith found the back of the net 53 seconds later to extend Tech's unbeaten record.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Meredith led the team with three goals, one assist, five draw controls, and 11 shots.
- DeLuca scored twice while adding two ground balls.
- Maciorowski (three ground balls), Fitzpatrick-Meyers (four ground balls, two caused turnovers), and Rubin (two draw controls, two caused turnovers) all scored once.
- Hoeller added her first assist of the seasons and two caused turnovers.
- Cassandra Reineke and Marina Eraas both caused two turnovers as well.
Stats to Know
- Tech held an offense averaging 16.7 goals per game to just seven tallies and 12 total shots.
- No team led by more than one in the contest.
- The Scarlet Hawks are now 4-0 in games decided by one goal this season. The team's last three games have been of this variety.
- Tech dominated on the draw (13-4) and in shots (31-12), but Augsburg made 12 saves and had 15 more clearing attempts.
- Illinois Tech will host a non-conference contest on Tuesday evening against St. Mary's (Indiana). The contest will take place at 6:00 p.m. at Stuart Field. Live audio, video, and statistics will be available, with the live audio powered by Illinois Media School.