CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech women's basketball team won its first game of the season on Tuesday evening, downing the Archers of Moody Bible on the road. Despite trailing at halftime, the Scarlet Hawks offense found a groove in the second half to help lead the team to the 58-49 win.
How it Happened
- The Archers started the game strong, using a 6-0 run to get things started. Moody's lead reached as high as 10 as the Archers led 16-8 after one.
- The tide started to turn in the second quarter. With Moody up 18-8 with 7:52 left, Illinois Tech went on an 11-0 run over the next 3:31 to take its first lead of the contest. Five different Scarlet Hawks scored during this time period.
- The lead would change hands three more times before the end of the first half as Moody took a 24-23 lead into the intermission.
- In the third quarter, the Hawks offense was clicking on all cylinders. With the score tied at 28 at the 7:06 mark, Tech went on a 17-6 run for the rest of the quarter and ended the frame with its best shooting quarter of the season (9-of-19, 47.4%).
- The run featured the sharpshooting of Madison Davis, who drain three three-point field goals over a span of 1:04. All three baskets were assisted by three different Scarlet Hawks. Tech ended the quarter up 45-34
- In the fourth quarter, the Scarlet Hawks withstood several Archer runs. Moody cut to lead to seven at the 8:31, 5:52, and 2:13 marks. With two made free throws with 1:23 to play, the Archers drew to within six at 55-49.
- Tech, however, held strong defensively. The defense held the Archers scoreless for the final 1:23, forcing four missed shots and a turnover. Davis and Raiven Johnson hit three of four free throws down the stretch to bring the game to its 58-49 final.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Davis' shooting off the bench was impressive. The freshman tallied a team-high 13 points on 4-of-10 shooting. All of her field goal attempts were from beyond the arc.
- Venika Jarvis recorded an impressive double-double of 10 points and 12 rebounds. She also recorded a season-high six steals to go along with two blocks and two assists during her stat-stuffing night.
- Kaylee Wicka led Tech starters with 11 points to accompany five rebounds, three steals, three assists, and three blocks.
- Johnson scored 10 points on 4-of-9 shooting. She also had a team-high five assists and three steals.
Stats to Know
- The Scarlet Hawks dominated the Archers from the field. Tech made 10 more shots (24-14) while attempting 22 more (68-47). The final percentages were 35.3% for Tech and 29.8% for Moody.
- Free throw shooting kept the Archers in the contest. Moody Bible was 17-of-23 from the line (73.9%) compared to Tech's 6-of-14 (42.9%).
- Tech forced 31 Archer turnovers, a season-high for the Hawk defense. Tech also had 15 total steals.
- The Scarlet Hawks look to build a winning streak tomorrow (Wednesday) as RMU-Peoria travels to the Keating Sports Center for a 5:00 p.m. tip-off. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.