Dec 19, 2016
CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech women's basketball team hosted Caltech on Monday afternoon. The Hawks fell to the Beavers 60-44.
How it Happened
- A slow start to the game was too much to overcome for the Scarlet Hawks, as Caltech led 22-2 after one.
- The tide began to turn for the Scarlet Hawks in the second quarter. Kaylee Wicka scored the team's final five points of the half as Tech score 11 total points over the 10 minutes. The Beavers led 34-13 at halftime.
- Illinois Tech continued to build momentum in the third quarter, outscoring the Beavers 14-12 in the period.
- In the fourth quarter, Tech had its largest scoring output of 17. Erin Efimoff scored nine of the team's points as Tech outscored the Beavers once again.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Wicka led the team with 15 points to go along with nine rebounds, two assists, and two steals.
- Efimoff tallied 10 points, five rebounds, two blocked shots, and a steal.
- Venika Jarvis had a game-high 11 rebounds to go along with four points, an assist, and a steal.
- Rochea Morley posted a career-high five steals.
Stats to Know
- Caltech's Grace Peng hit three shots from beyond the arc in the first quarter. She finished five five total three-point field goals and 19 total points to lead all scorers.
- Illinois Tech fell despite the Beavers committing 10 more fouls (27-17) and eight more turnovers (24-16).
- Tech left a lot of points at the free throw line, converting only 13 of 32 attempts (40.6%).
- Tech is off for the holidays and will return to action on January 7 at Albion for a 2:00 p.m. tip-off.