Mar 02, 2018
CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech men's volleyball team hosted a Friday night match against NAIA opponent St. Xavier University. The nearby school was able to defeat the Scarlet Hawks 3-1, dropping Tech to 7-13 on the season.
How it Happened
- After hanging with the Cougars early in the first set, the visitors managed to pull away from Tech thanks to two key aces and some attack errors on Tech's side. A .435% hit percentage for St. X compared to Tech's .036% also did the Hawks in.
- The Cougars once again used a strong attack to take the second set, but things changed in set three. Behind improved play at the net, the Scarlet Hawks won 25-23 to force a fourth. An impressive double block by Andriy Bench and Lukasz Kupiec halted a Cougar rally to ice the set.
- In the fourth and final set, the Cougars used a late run to pull ahead. With the score tied at 20-20, SXU scored four straight points thanks to two of Jake Olsen's match-high 19 kills and two attack errors from Tech. Cinjun Coe recorded a kill to keep the match alive, but Olsen smahed another kill to give SXU the win.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Coe led the team with 15 kills.
- Kupiec tallied 14 klls and a team-high 12 digs.
- Daniel Throop had 20 assists to lead the Scarlet Hawks.
Stats to Know
- Blocks were a big emphasis in tonight's match, with the Cougars (two solo, 14 assisted) outdoing the Hawks (one solo, two assisted).
- The Cougars (44 kills, .228%) bested the Scarlet Hawks (37 kills, .067%) bested Tech in both of the main attacking categories.
- SXU outdug Tech 63-47.
- The Scarlet Hawks will host Marian University (Wisconsin) on Wednesday night in the Keating Sports Center. Match time is set for 7:00 p.m. Live audio, video, and statistics will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.