PALOS HILLS, Ill., – The Illinois Tech men's volleyball team played a road contest against the Trolls of Trinity Christian College on Wednesday. In a tight match, Tech was defeated 3-2 and moved to 7-12 on the season.
- Trinity Christian 3, Illinois Tech 2 (20-25, 25-23, 18-25, 25-22, 9-15)
How it Happened
- Offense was the theme of the early portion of the match, as both the Scarlet Hawks and the Trolls hit at a high clip. Tech hit .375% and .395% in the first two sets, combining for 32 kills. Trinity countered with hitting percentages of .474% and .353% and 25 total kills. The result was the teams splitting the two sets.
- In set three, Tech's offense began to slow while Trinity's progressed. The Trolls hit an impressive .615% and recorded 17 kills out of the team's 25 points.
- The Scarlet Hawks rallied back in set for to force a fifth, using a mid-match 5-0 run and a late 5-1 run to vault ahead. A Trolls service error gave Tech its 25th point.
- The fifth set was controlled by the Trolls early, as the Scarlet Hawks found themselves in a 6-2 hole early. While Tech was able to pull to within two at 11-9, the Trolls rattled off four straight points to take the set.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Cinjun Coe led all players with 25 kills while also tallying two service aces and 10 digs.
- Lukasz Kupiec had 25 kills and a .375 hit percentage.
- Andriy Bench recorded 12 kills, a .375 hit percentage, and three total blocks (one solo, two assisted).
- Ben Peschl had 49 assists.
- Steven Komendanchik led the team with 15 digs.
Stats to Know
- Trinity hit .345% compared to Tech's .241%.
- The Scarlet Hawks outdug the Trolls 58-45.
- The two teams combined for 28 service errors (16 for TC, 12 for Tech).
- The Scarlet Hawks will host St. Xavier University on Friday at 7:00 p.m. Live audio, video, and statistics will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.