OLIVET, Mich. – The Illinois Tech men's volleyball traveled to Michigan on Saturday to square-off against Wittenberg University and Olivet College. The Hawks dropped both matches in straight sets.
- Wittenberg 3, Tech 0 (25-16, 25-22, 25-19)
- Olivet 3, Tech 0 (25-17, 25-21, 25-15)
How it Happened- Wittenberg Match
- The Hawks started the match sluggish, as the Tigers offense pounced on the Hawks and gained a 10-4 lead early in the first set.
- Several attack errors by the Tigers helped the Hawks claw back, but the offensive firepower of Wittenberg was too much for Tech.
- Tech started the second set stronger, gaining an early 5-3 lead behind two kills from Evan Robeck. The set remained even up until the halfway point, when the Tigers were able to turn the tide and gain a two point lead (16-14). The Tigers were able to hold on to the lead winning the second set by three (25-22).
- The Hawks continued to fight, but the Tigers firepower proved to be too much. Wittenberg won the third and final set by six (25-19).
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – Wittenberg Match
- Lukasz Kupiec had a match-high 12 kills to go along with eight assists and four digs.
- Michael Drews added five kills and five digs.
- Andrew Woltman had five digs and a team-high 14 assists.
- David Allen tallied one of the Hawks two service aces and had two kills to along with four digs.
Stats to Know – Wittenberg Match
- Wittenberg tallied seven more kills (34) than Tech who had 27.
- The Hawks had 25 assists compared to 34 for the Tigers.
- Wittenberg won the dig battle 32-24 digs.
How it Happened – Olivet Match
- The second match saw the Hawks started the first set sluggish, trailing early 7-2. The Hawks, though, behind the offense of Allen, were able to claw their back to within two (7-5).
- Several errors by the Hawks gave Olivet a boost, as the offense started to heat up. The hosts pulled away to win the first set 25-18.
- The second set was Tech's best, as the Hawks kept on fighting to gain a one point lead (12-11) after being down 9-5. The Comets went on a four-point streak to gain a 19-15 lead, pulling away to win the second set (25-21).
- The Comets proved to be too much to overcome, as they won the third set 25-15.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – Olivet Match
- Kupiec had a match-high 12 kills to go along with 16 assists and two service aces
- Woltman recorded a match-high 17 assists. He also had two service aces.
- Drews had another effective match to close out his collegiate career, tallying 10 kills and five digs.
Stats to Know – Olivet Match
- Tech (35) had three more kills than Olivet (32), but committed 27 attack errors compared to six for the Comets
- The Scarlet Hawks also outscored the Comets in assists, tallying 35 compared to 28 for Olivet.
- The Hawks also outdid the Comets in service aces (6-5) and digs (32-26).