CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Illinois Tech men's volleyball team had its most dominant win in program history on Friday night. Tech hit over .300% in all three sets en route to a 3-0 sweep over Lesley University.
- Tech 3, Lesley 0 (25-9, 25-15, 25-12)
How it Happened
- It did not take long for the Scarlet Hawks to jump ahead, as Tech led 11-3 after 14 points. The Scarlet Hawks had four service aces and seven kills over this span.
- Then, Tech opened up its largest run of the set (7-0) to take a 17-5 advantage. Strong serving helped close it out, as the Scarlet Hawks rode nine set one service aces to a set one win.
- In set two, Lesley came out with fight, leading 8-4 early. However, Tech would impose its will mid-set, going on an 11-0 run to take a 17-9 lead. The run featured six Evan Robeck kills.
- The Scarlet Hawks were able to keep the Lynx at bay for the rest of the set. A David Allen service ace closed it out as Tech went up 2-0.
- Set three saw a steady attack from the Scarlet Hawks, jumping out to leads of 14-5 and then 17-6. While the Scarlet Hawks hit an astounding .429% for the set, two service aces from Paulo Sassmannschausen clinched the match victory.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Robeck was dominant, leading all players with 14 kills while tallying four service aces and a .435 hitting percentage.
- Allen (four kills, .429%), Irshad Hussain (five kills, .364%, two block assists), Lukasz Kupiec (five kills, .714%, 10 assists, three service aces), and Sassmannschausen (five kills, .300%, four service aces) joined Robeck with hitting percentages over .300%.
- Andrew Woltman led all players with 20 assists.
- Allan Huang also had four service aces.
Stats to Know
- Tech recorded season-highs in hitting percentage (.364%) and service aces (19).
- The Scarlet Hawks held the Lynx without a single service ace and to just 11 kills as a team.
- Tech's defense was also stout, as Lesley hit .000% for the match.
- Illinois Tech will play two matches at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island on Saturday. The Scarlet Hawks will oppose Eastern Nazarene College at 10:00 a.m. central time (11:00 a.m. eastern time) before taking on the hosts at noon (1:00 p.m. eastern time). Live statistics will be available for both contests. A live video stream will also be available for the match against Johnson & Wales.