PALOS HEIGHTS, Ill. - The Illinois Tech men's volleyball team traveled to Trinity Chirstian College on Saturday to play a tri-match against host TCC and Mount Mercy University. Tech fell to the hosts in five sets before dropping the MMU match in straight sets.
Scores - Trinity Christian Match
- TCC 3, Tech 2 (23-25, 21-25, 25-23, 27-25, 9-15).
How it Happened - Trinity Christian Match
- Tech led for a large portion of the first set, but a late 9-5 run by the Trolls gave the hosts the victory. Trinity built on its momentum, leading for almost the entire second set to win 25-21.
- The tide began to turn in set three. Tech went on a 10-0 early run highlighted by three kills from Michael Drews. While the Trolls threatned and even took a late 21-20 lead, Tech held strong to win 25-23.
- Set four was back-and-forth once again. After TCC led 8-3, Tech fought back to take a 16-15 advantage. The teams traded several leads down the stretch, but two straight attack errors to close the match by the Trolls gave Tech the win.
- TCC scored the first four points of set five, but the Hawks stormed back to take a 6-5 lead. The Trolls, however, regrouped to close the match out.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts - Trinity Christian Match
- Drews (13), Lukasz Kupiec (12), Evan Robeck (11) and Yuriy Shepta (11) all recorded double-digit kills. Robeck (.350%) and Shepta (.222%) were over a .200 hitting percentage.
- Kupiec tallied 37 assists as well for his second straight double-double.
- Derek Bostick (21) and Andrew Woltman (10) were in double-digits for digs. Woltman's 12 assists also gave him a double-double.
Stats to Know - Trinity Christian Match
- Tech had 59 kills compared to TCC's 56.
- TCC doubled Tech on service aces (6-3).
- Tech won the digs battle 59-50.
Scores - Mount Mercy Match
- MMU 3, Tech 0 (22-25, 23-25, 21-25).
How it Happened - Mount Mercy Match
- Tech built a 13-8 lead in the first set, but the Mustangs came on strong. MMU took the lead for good at 18-17 and won 25-22.
- In set two, Tech quickly trimmed a 6-2 Mustang advantage to tie the score at 7-7. However, MMU followed that up with a 4-0 run and held the lead for the rest of the set.
- Set three featured a mid-set 5-0 run by the Mustangs to give MMU a 12-7 lead. Tech fought back, as a stretch of six kills in seven volleys tied the score at 16-16. MMU, however, responded with a 5-0 run and closed the match out shortly after.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts - Mount Mercy Match
- Kupiec recorded 12 kills and 19 assists for his third straight double-double. He also had a .391 hitting percentage.
- Shepta had nine kills and a .429 hitting percentage.
- Woltman added 14 assists of his own.
Stats to Know - Mount Mercy Match
- Tech hit. 250% compared to MMU's .268%.
- The Scarlet Hawks outdug the Mustangs 34-33.
- MMU had 39 assists compared to 36 for the Hawks.
- Tech hosts North Central College at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday night in the Keating Sports Center. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.