CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech men's volleyball team won its first home match in program history on Thursday night, hosting Calumet College of St. Joseph. Tech was in control for most of the evening, winning the match in straight sets.
- Set one: Tech 25, CCSJ 18
- Set two: Tech 25, CCSJ 23
- Set three: Tech 25, CCSJ 18
How it Happened
- The first set belonged to the Scarlet Hawks, as Tech built an early advantage and never looked back. Behind a strong defense that held the Crimson Wave to a -.038 hitting percentage, Tech pulled away late to ice the set.
- In set two, CCSJ jumped out to an early 3-0 and 5-3 leads before the Scarlet Hawks caught the Crimson Wave. After CCSJ tied the score back up at 12-12, no team was able to lead by more than one until an attack error by the Wave put Tech up 20-18. CCSJ reeled the Hawks back in, and with the score tied at 23-23, a David Allen kill set up set point. Allen clinched the win with another kill on the next volley.
- After a back-and-forth early portion of set three, the Scarlet Hawks took control with a 4-0 run to go up 14-10. From then on, Tech coasted to a 25-18 set victory.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Allen made a big impact. The freshman tallied nine kills and three of Tech's four service aces.
- Lukasz Kupiec joined Allen as freshmen who had a great night. Kupiec tallied his first collegiate double-double, totaling 10 kills (.208%) and 12 assists.
- Andrew Woltman led the team with 21 assists.
- Yuriy Shepta was a force at the net, recording three solo blocks.
Stats to Know
- The Tech defense held CCSJ to a hitting percentage of just -.024.
- Tech's four aces outdid CCSJ's, who was able to record only one.
- The Scarlet Hawks had 35 kills compared to 20 for the Crimson Wave.
- The Scarlet Hawks are back in action on Saturday when the team travels to Trinity Christian in Palos Heights, Ill. Tech will play host TC at noon before opposing Mount Mercy University at 2:00 p.m. Trinity Christian will provide live video and stats of both contests.