CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech men's volleyball team saw its first action of the season at the Keating Sports Center as they took on Dominican University and Cardinal Stritch University as a part of a quad match. The Scarlet Hawks lost both matches 3-0.
- Dominican 3, Tech 0 (25-16, 25-21, 25-18)
- Cardinal 3, Tech 0 (25-17, 25-17, 25-11)
How It Happened – Dominican Match
- The Stars' strongest set of the match was the first, where DU built an early 9-6 lead and never looked back as they won the set by nine.
- The second set was evenly matched, as both Tech and Dominican traded points all set. Lukasz Kupiec had three consecutive kills, but the Scarlet Hawks could not overcome the deficit and dropped the set by four.
- The Hawks started the third set strong, as they built a 2-0 advantage. The Stars fought back, as both teams traded points until senior David Allen's service ace gave Tech a 7-5 lead. Dominican, though, would ultimately end up stringing together several points and winning the final set by seven.
Scarlet Hawks Standouts - Dominican Match
- Kupiec packed the stat sheet and had nine kills, to along with nine assists and four digs.
- Andrew Woltman had a team-high 13 assists.
- Derek Bostick led the team in digs with nine.
- Michael Drews played a big role in the match and had five kills.
How It Happened – Cardinal Stritch Match
- Tech started out the match very strong offensively and defensively, at one point holding a 10-7 lead. The Wolves, though, went on a five-point streak, thanks in part to consecutive kills by Connor O'Ryan, and won the first set 25-17.
- The second set saw more of the same, as both teams exchanged points. The Hawks at one point had a 6-5 lead, but saw it quickly disappear as the Wolves played good defense and built a six point lead (18-12).
- Tech came out flat footed in the third set, and Cardinal Stritch quickly had a five point lead (6-1). The Hawks, though, kept fighting, but it wasn't enough as the Wolves pulled out the 25-11 victory in the set.
Scarlet Hawks Standouts- Cardinal Stritch Match
- Kupiec had a very effective game with team-highs in assists (13) and digs (13) to go along with four kills.
- Allen had a team-high 10 kills.
- Drews contributed with six kills, five digs, and two assists.
- Woltman had another good match and ended with nine assists.
- The Hawks next match will be at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 2, at the Keating Sports Center as they face off against Calumet College of St. Joseph. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.