KENOSHA, Wis. -- The Illinois Tech men's tennis team won a pair of matches at Carthage College as the Scarlet Hawks defeated Lake Forest College and Carthage College on Sunday.
The Scarlet Hawks (3-5) defeated the Foresters (2-4), 9-0, at the Life Sport Athletic Club Sunday.
Illinois Tech (4-5) then defeated the Red Men (7-2), 6-3, at the same location later on Sunday.
How It Happened (Lake Forest Match)
- Illinois Tech swept the match by winning all nine matches with six in singles competition and three in doubles.
- Davis Housman won every game in both sets at No. 4 singles against Brant Christensen, 6-0, 6-0.
- Adam Laitinen also won each game in each of his sets at No. 5 singles against Matthew Pawlowski, 6-0, 6-0.
- Yousef Abdo was able to sweep the second set and win the match at No. 2 singles, 6-3, 6-0.
- Pol de Santiago was in a close match but came out on top at No. 1 singles, 6-4, 6-2.
- Franklin Zhong picked up the victory at No. 3 singles in straight sets, 6-3, 6-0.
- Abhishek Rana won 6-2 in the first set then his opponent retired in the second set at No. 6 singles.
- Illinois Tech swept doubles matches.
- de Santiago and Zhong were victorious at No. 1 doubles edging out Matt Kacyn and Christensen, 8-6.
- Abdo and Laitinen won their match at No. 2 doubles as the duo picked up the victory 8-4.
- Rana and Mohammed Shamel ended doubles with a tie-breaker but still came out on top 8-7 (7-2).
How It Happened (Carthage Match)
- Illinois Tech started off the match well, sweeping doubles matches, to go ahead 3-0.
- Abdo and Laitinen won at the No. 2 spot defeating Tripp Schulte and Matt Krzewinski, 8-4.
- de Santiago and Zhong came out on top at No. 1 doubles against Daniel Moore and Andre Antrassian, 8-6.
- Brady Croonquist and Davis Housman, competing in their first match of the day were victorious at No. 3 doubles, 8-6.
- Carthage had the answer though but both teams split singles matches.
- Shamel did not look back at No. 6 singles for his first singles match of the day and defeated Oscar Irazoque, 6-0, 6-1.
- Abdo won at No. 2 singles in straight sets, 6-4, 7-6.
- Zhong was able to rally after dropping the first set and win in a three-set tiebreaker, 6-7, 7-5, 1-0.
- Illinois Tech returns to action Friday, March 8 as the Scarlet Hawks travel to Augustana College for a match starting at 6:00 p.m. CT.