CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech men's swimming and diving team began the 2017-18 schedule on a strong note, hosting both St. Ambrose University and Illinois College in a double dual. The Scarlet Hawks impressed, downing St. Ambrose 125-78 and Illinois College 153-46.
- Tech's top 400 Yard Medley Relay team opened up the season in victory. Julian Escasa (backstroke), Louis German (breaststroke), Ryan Escasa (butterfly), and Tyler Van Wagener (freestyle) teamed up for a 3:45.09 time, nine seconds ahead of the second-place squad.
- Tech had the two top finishers in the 200 Yard IM. Ryan Escasa opened up his collegiate career with a first-place finish (2:03.96), while Benjamin Cohen wasn't far behind at 2:14.24.
- Julian Escasa and Van Wagener captured the top two 100 Yard Butterfly spots (53.56s, 54.82s).
- In the 200 Yard Freestyle, Jay Korhonen placed first with a time of 1:50.82.
- Matthew Randle won his first collegiate 100 Yard Backstroke racing, taking the top spot at 57.03s.
- Seth Wissenbach also opened his career in victory, winning the 100 Yard Breaststroke at 1:04.00.
- In a tight race to close out the evening, Tech's top 200 Yard Freestyle Relay team of Julian Escasa, Korhonen, David Polzin, and Wissenbach edged out St. Ambrose with a 1:30.86 time. Wissenbach's final leg put the Scarlet Hawks over the top.
- Tech is already back in action tomorrow (Saturday), hitting the road for a 12:00 p.m. double dual at Anderson University. The Scarlet Hawks will oppose the host Ravens as well as Franklin University.