Oct 24, 2017
CHICAGO, Ill. – Illinois Tech's men's soccer battled the elements and Monmouth on Tuesday night, emerging with a thrilling 1-0 victory over the Scots.
How It Happened
- The match started slowly with both teams unable to generate much offense. Monmouth's goalie Chase Stroud only had to make one save in the first half while Tech's goalie Alex Kern only had to make two stops. After minimal momentum for either side, the half ended with a scoreless tie.
- Illinois Tech started the second half strong, recording seven shots on Stroud in the first 20 minutes after the half but remained goalless. The Scots surged late in the period with several scoring chances, including a free kick from Jack Ressler that shot off the crossbar over the goal. Finally, with only 37 seconds left in regulation, the Scarlet Hawks swarmed the Monmouth goal. After several deflections, Christopher Reed was able to knock in the only goal of the match from an Oluwaseun Ogunsanya assist.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Reed scored once on two shots on goal
- Ogunsanya had an assist and three shots
- Brandon Bortei-Doku had a team-leading four shots with one on goal
- Zachary Whritenour added two shots
- Kern saved three shots for the shutout
Stats to Know
- Shots were in favor of Tech 17-13
- Tech led in shots on goal 4 to 3
- The Scarlet Hawks also led in corner kicks (9-3)
- Tech had 11 fouls (including two yellow cards) to Monmouth's three
- The Scarlet Hawks will look to close out the regular season on a high note as the host Senior Day on Saturday at Stuart Field against Moody Bible at 6:00 p.m. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.