CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech men's soccer team hosted the Finlandia University Lions in the second part of this Saturday's women's/men's team double header. Tech pulled away late, winning 3-0.
How it Happened
- Illinois Tech took control early on, peppering the Lions with shots out of the gate. Christopher Reed put the Hawks on the board in the 11th minute thanks to a great centering pass from Quentin Dreilich.
- Finlandia began to generate some offense themselves, but the score remained deadlocked heading into halftime.
- After a slow start to the second half offensively for both teams, Finlandia had some chances on three straight corners, while the Scarlet Hawks had a flurry of three quick shots with 14 minutes left to play. Every chance was turned away by the defense.
- Tech added insurance shortly after. Zachary Whritenour scored on a double assist from Oluwaseun Ogunsanya and Brandon Bortei-Doku.
- Ogunsanya managed to dish one more assist, finding Diego Gutierrez Coronel with 10 minutes to go.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Ogunsanya tallied two assists and attempted three shots.
- Dreilich had an assist and two shots.
- Reed scored and had a team-high five shots.
- Whritenour tallied on his only shot.
- Gutierrez Coronel scored on two shots.
- Bortei-Doku had an assist and two shots.
Stats to Know
- Shots were in favor of Tech (23-10).
- Fouls were nearly even (Lions 12, Hawks 11)
- The Scarlet Hawks improved to 11-4-1, while Finlandia fell to 6-8.
- Tech will host Monmouth College of Illinois on Tuesday evening at 6:00 p.m. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.