Sep 13, 2017
DEFIANCE, Ohio - The Illinois Tech men's soccer team played a mid-afternoon match on Wednesday at Defiance College. Defiance used a strong performance in net to force a 2-2 draw.
How it Happened
- The Scarlet Hawks dominated possession early, which reflected on the scoreboard eight minutes into the match. Oluwaseun Ogunsanya scored on a Norikazu Honda assist.
- The Yellow Jackets evened up the score in the 21st minute on an unassisted goal.
- While the Scarlet Hawks won the shot count 5-3 in the first half and 10-4 in the second half, Defiance managed to keep the score tied at 1-1.
- Freshman Noah Kwortnik broke through for Tech in the 72nd minute, scoring from Honda on a corner kick to go up 2-1.
- In the 86th minute, Defiance tied the match to force overtime.
- Overtime was dominated by the Scarlet Hawks on possession, outshooting the Yellow Jackets 5-1 in the two ten minute halves. However, Defiance turned the Hawks away to force the 2-2 outcome.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Honda led the Scarlet Hawks with six shots and four shots to go along with his two assist.
- Kwortnik scored on one of his two shot attempts.
- Ogunsanya had a goal and three shots (two on goal).
Stats to Know
- The final shot count was 20-8 in favor of Tech.
- Defiance made 10 total saves.
- Tech had 10 corner kicks compared to three for the Yellow Jackets.
- Tech will host Beloit College at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday for Homecoming. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.