CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech men's soccer team hosted the final match of the Illinois Tech Tournament on Sunday afternoon at Stuart Field. After falling behind 3-0, Tech mounted a strong comeback, but ultimately was defeated 3-2.
How it Happened
- It was the Tanner Alderson show in the first half, as the Simpson standout scored twice in a three and a half minute span. He tallied goals in the 26th and 29th minute to put the Storm up 2-0.
- After the Scarlet Hawks held Simpson scoreless for the rest of the first half, Alderson assisted Garrett Pochop in the 54th minute to put Simpson up 3-0.
- Illinois Tech started to generate chances and get offense going in the later part of the second half. Diego Gutierrez Coronel scored off of a free kick to make the score 3-1 in the 72nd minute.
- In the 83rd minute, Brandon Bortei-Doku made the score even closer. He scored on a beautiful pass from Oluwaseun Ogunsanya to bring Tech within one.
- Tech generated some chances late, but Simpson held strong for the win.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Both Bortei-Doku and Noah Kwortnik were named all tournament team. Bortei-Doku had five shots, three shots on goal, and a goal this afternoon.
- Gutierrez Coronel had a goal. All three of his shots were on net.
- Ogunsanya had an assist while also recording a shot.
Stats to Know
- The tournament results went as follows: Simpson (2-0), UW-Whitewater (1-1), Manchester (1-1), Illinois tech (0-2).
- Shots were even at 19. Corner kicks were even at four.
- Simpson had 12 fouls compared to Tech's 13.
- The Scarlet Hawks will play at home again on Tuesday, hosting MacMurray College at 6:00 p.m. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.