CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech men's basketball team closed out the Kalamazoo College Tournament on Sunday, falling to Olivet College 94-79. Tech fell to 4-1 on the season, while Olivet moved to 2-2.
How it Happened
- The Olivet Comets jumped out of the gate early, scoring the first basket of the game and holding off the Scarlet Hawks to hold a slim lead through the first 10 mintues.
- Olivet would then open up a large lead. Behind an astounding first half shooting percentage of 69.7%, the Comets lead 56-31 at halftime. Tech shot just 28.6% in the half, also contributing to the deficit.
- The Scarlet Hawks attempted to eat away at the lead behind strong play on the offensive glass. Tech totaled 12 offensive rebounds in the final 20 minutes, leading to 13 more field goal attempts.
- Despite the added attempts, Tech's shooting woes continued. The Scarlet Hawks shot just 33.3% in the second half, leading to the 94-79 loss.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Jake Bruns was one Scarlet Hawk who was unaffected by the team-wide shooting woe. The junior guard scored 16 points off the bench behing five three-pointers.
- Jake Digiorgio led Tech with 12 points and eight rebounds.
- Max Hisatake had 14 points, 12 rebounds, and three blocks.
- Parker Joncus made three three-pointers en route to 11 points in just 21 minutes.
Stats to Know
- Olivet shot 59.7% compared to just 31.7% for Tech.
- The Scarlet Hawks were defeated despite outrebounding the Comets 44-34.
- Tech was great from the free throw line, going 25-of-31 (80.6%).
- Tech will travel to UW-Platteville for a Wednesday night contest beginning at 8:00 p.m.