KALAMAZOO, Mich. – The Illinois Tech Men's Basketball team traveled to Kalamazoo for the first game in a road tournament hosted by the Hornets on Saturday. Tech emerged with a win behind three double-digit scorers 67-58.
How it Happened
- Illinois Tech began slowly against the Hornets, managing just 11 points as a team in the first half of the opening period. But Malik Howze and Max Hisatake combined for 17 points in the first half, propelling the Scarlet Hawks to a 14 point lead with four minutes to go before halftime. Tech led by seven at half by a score of 33-26.
- Howze and Hisatake reestablished the big Scarlet Hawks lead to begin the second half, elevating the score to 40-26 within three minutes. Jake Digiorgio added seven points during the second half until Howze exploded for 14 points down the stretch to solidify the win for the Scarlet Hawks, 67-58.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Howze led all scorers with 23 points on 42% shooting while adding three rebounds and one assist
- Hisatake finished with a double-double after scoring 14 points and grabbing 14 rebounds. He also had two blocks
- Digiorgio also scored 14 points with seven rebounds and one steal
Stats to Know
- Tech shot 38% from the floor and 40% from the three-point line
- Rebounds were in favor of the Scarlet Hawks 47-28
- Assists were also in favor of Tech (13-8)
- The Scarlet Hawks will play in the second game of the Kalamazoo Tournament tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. against Olivet.