CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech men's basketball team won its 20th game overall, 10th game in a row, and moved to a perfect 11-0 at home with another dominant victory. On Senior Night, the Scarlet Hawks downed Emmaus Bible College 86-61.
How it Happened
- Emmaus was the team that started the game out on a strong note, building and early 10-4 lead at the 15:26 mark.
- A Parker Joncus three-pointer with 14:58 to play in the half began to turn the tide for Tech. The two teams played evenly until Samuel Rarick hit a pair of free throws to put the Hawks up 21-19 with 9:17, never trailing after that point. It was two of eight straight Rarick points for Tech
- Over the final 6:34 of the first half, the Scarlet Hawks went on a 29-4 run to open up a 54-28 halftime lead. The Scarlet Hawks caught fire from downtown, as six of the team's final seven possessions ended with a made three-pointer. Malik Howze hit four three-point shots and scored 16 points during the 29-4 run.
- Tech picked up right where it let off to begin the second half, building a lead that reached as high as 36 (79-43). The early portion of the second half was highlighted by a monster Max Hisatake dunk, which can be seen at the bottom of this release.
- Emmaus managed to get some offense going behind 10 Nick Fairley points, but it wasn't enough as the Scarlet Hawks cruised to a 25-point win.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Rarick went out in style on his senior night. The senior scored 21 points and tallied 10 rebounds, going 7-of-11 from the floor.
- Howze scored 21 points of his own on 8-of-11 shooting (4-of-6 from downtown).
- Hisatake (11 points, nine rebounds, three steals, two blocks), and Jake Bruns (10 points, team-high six assists, three steals) scored in double figures off the bench.
Stats to Know
- There were 70 total bench points in the contest. Tech won the battle of the benches 40-30.
- Tech outrebounded Emmaus 46-35.
- Tech recorded just 10 turnovers.
- The Scarlet Hawks shot 81% from the free throw line (17-of-21) while Emmaus was just 54.5% (6-of-11).
- The Scarlet Hawks are the fourth seed in the USCAA Tournament in Uniontown, Pennsylvania next week. Tech will take on #5 Florida College at 4:00 p.m. eastern time (3:00 p.m. central time) on Wednesday, March 1. Live links and all information will be made available on www.illinoistechathletics.com on Monday.