STEVENS POINT, Wis. - The Illinois Tech baseball team played two more games on Sunday at #25 Wisconsin-Stevens Point. The WIAC opponent defeated the Scarlet Hawks twice by scores of 3-0 and 3-1.
Runs-Hits-Errors: Game 1
- Tech: 0 runs, 3 hits, 1 error
- UWSP: 3 runs, 7 hits, 1 error
How it Happened: Game 1
- The Pointers scored its first run in the first inning without the luxury of a hit, as a walk, sacrafice bunt, and groundout did the job for the hosts.
- The Scarlet Hawk offense struggled out of the gate, as after a leadoff single from designated hitter Michael Courtney, UWSP's Cole Erickson retired 14 in a row until a single by shortstop Orlando Cardenas-Juan stopped the streak.
- Meanwhile, Tech starter John Zalewsk kept the Scarlet Hawks in the ballgame. From the second through sixth innings, the right-hander did not allow a run and allowed just three hits.
- The Pointers finally figured Zalewski out in the seventh, recording three hits and two runs in the frame to lead to the contest's 3-0 final score.
Runs-Hits-Errors: Game 2
- Tech: 1 run, 4 hits, 2 errors
- UWSP: 3 runs, 7 hits, 2 errors
How it Happened: Game 2
- A two-RBI double by the Pointers in the bottom of the second put UWSP up 2-0 early.
- Tech starter Ian Duke was able to pitch over a variety of jams to keep the Scarlet Hawks close throughout. However, the Pointers were able to extend the lead in the bottom of the seventh with a solo homer run.
- The Scarlet Hawks would get back into the contest in the eighth. With two outs, second baseman DJ Rybski homered for the first time this season. Tech would put the next three men on as well, but a strikeout ended the further threat.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Zalewski's game one line was impressive, as the sophomore allowed just three runs in eight innings with seven hits, one walk, and seven strikeouts.
- Duke went 6.2 strong innings, allowing just one earned run and striking out four.
- Jacob Geiger threw 1.1 scoreless innings of relief in game two.
- Left fielder Nick Worden led off in game two and preformed well, going 2-for-4.
- Rybski was 2-for-3 with the solo home run in game two.
- The Scarlet Hawks will host UW-Platteville next weekend for Saturday and Sunday doubleheaders at Ed Glancy Field. Live audio, video, and stats are set to be available for both games, which are set to begin at 12:00 p.m. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.