CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech baseball team ended the 2017 campaign with two games at University of Chicago on Sunday afternoon. Tech dropped the seven-inning contests 12-4 and 14-4.
How it Happened - Game One
- Chicago jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning before the Scarlet Hawks added a tally in the second thanks to a Maroons error.
- The Maroons added one more in the second and three more in the third to increase the lead to 7-1.
- Tech would fight back, plating three runs in the fourth inning. Orlando Cardenas-Juan doubled in two runs before DJ Rybski singled in another. All of the runs came with two outs.
- U of Chicago, however, responded with a six-run fourth inning to put the contest out of reach.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts - Game One
- Cardenas-Juan (2-for-3, two RBI, run, double) and Rybski (2-for-3, RBI) were the only Scarlet Hawks with multiple hits and RBI.
- Both Joseph Hindy (1.2 innings, three hits, one strikeouts) and Kevin Hildreth (one inning, one hit) were unscored upon in relief.
How it Happened - Game Two
- Tech were the aggressors to start, taking a 2-0 lead after the top of the second thanks to a U of C error that plated both runs.
- Chicago answered with two of its own in the second and proceeded to flex its muscles offensively, scoring three more in the third and nine in the fourth.
- In the top of the fifth, a Ted Howell singled plated a run. Another run crossed home plate for the Scarlet Hawks on and error during the same play.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts - Game Two
- Tyler Tucker (2-for-4) and Howell (2-for-3, RBI, run) were the only two Scarlet Hawks wil multiple hits.
- Both Jake Menard (1.1 innings, two hits) and Evan Sexsmith (one inning, two strikeouts) were unscored upon. Sexsmith also did not allow a hit.