TUCSON, Ariz. - The Illinois Tech baseball team played two games on Friday in Tucson, Arizona at the Kino Sports Complex. Tech dropped a wild contest 13-12 to Marian (Wis.) before falling to Dickinson State 14-5.
The Scarlet Hawks also opposed Dickinson State University on Friday. Information for this contest will be posted when it becomes available.
Runs-Hits-Errors – Marian Game
- Tech: 12 runs, 17 hits, 5 errors
- Marian: 13 runs, 19 hits, 3 errors
How it Happened – Marian Game
- DJ Rybski led off the contest with a home run, his first of the season and the team's second.
- After Marian tied the score in the bottom half of the inning, Rybski did some more damage. After Peter Upham reached on an error, the junior singled him in to give the Scarlet Hawks a 2-1 lead.
- Marian would open up a lead in the bottom of the third, plating four runs on five straight hits to take a 5-2 advantage.
- Rybski drove in yet another run, singling in Upham again in the top of the fourth to trim the lead. In the top of the fifth, Ted Howell's first home run of the year made the score 5-4.
- After a five-run Sabre bottom of the fifth, the Scarlet Hawks had its best inning of the season thus far, plating seven runs on six hits in the bottom of the sixth. Tyler Tucker hit a bases loaded double, Howell and Kyle Bumpass drove in runs with singles, and Christian Lopez hit a two-run double in the inning. Bumpass also singled twice in the frame.
- Johnathon Wilcox added to Tech's lead with an RBI single in the top of the seventh. The Scarlet Hawks led 12-10 heading into the seventh inning stretch.
- After a two-run eighth for Marian to tie the score, the Sabres scored on a walk-off single with one out in the bottom of the ninth to win the contest.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – Marian Game
- Bumpass was a perfect 5-for-5 with one run and one RBI.
- Rybski was 3-for-5 with a home run, driving in a run in each of his first three at-bats. He also walked once and scored two runs.
- Howell had a 3-for-5 day with a home run as well, driving in two runs, scoring twice, and tallying one walk.
- Tucker (2-for-5, double, three RBI, run) and Zachary Dickey (2-for-5, run) also had multi-hit games.
Stats to Know – Marian Game
- The 17 hits were a season-high for Tech.
- Marian struck out just once against Scarlet Hawk pitching.
- Both teams made use of the sacrifice bunt, combining for five (three for Marian, two for Tech).
Dickinson State Game
- Recap and stats will be posted when the information becomes available.
- The Scarlet Hawks will close out the Arizona trip on Saturday. Tech will oppose Macalester at 12:00 p.m. central time at Kino Sports Complex Field #5. Live stats will be available for the contest.